Thursday, October 20, 2011

And the worst blogger award goes to...


...me! :) I made all kinds of promises to myself about how I would be so good about updating my blog, but obviously that hasn't been going as well as I hoped! I don't have internet at my flat, and when I am at the school (which has wi-fi) I usually get distracted with other things. Plus the wi-fi can get slow when we are all on it...

 On the bright side, even though I haven't been good about blogging I have been a journal-writing ninja! I have more than 75 typed pages of journal written. Here is just a sample...


I've written every day except for when we were in Moscow, and for me that is pretty impressive! I'm usually not the best journal-writer. :)

Here is a quick run-down of how things have been going so far!

Teaching

Teaching is what takes up most of my time. I am the basic reading teacher at my school, and I absolutely love it! I teach two classes Monday through Thursday, one from 2-4 and one from 4-6. My schedule couldn't be better and I love having three day weekends! I teach the least of everyone in the school, but I have the most planning (by far) so it evens out in the end.

I adore my students. Really, I'm not sure how I got so lucky since they are all awesome. I have 12 students in all. Usually, 7 come to the first class and 5 come to the second, but it just depends. I love that my students bring me gifts all the time! It's an off day when I don't get something, even if it is just a shiny rock, a single earring, or a piece of candy. Dima gave me a pirated copy of a popular Russian cartoon I like, though! I just hope their parents know... :)

Here are a few pictures!


Taken just before my first class! I'm lucky enough to get my own room.
Top: Zahar, Fiodor (aka Frodo) and me.
Bottom: Dasha, Zahar, and Stefania
Clockwise from front: Dima, Lika, Kirill, Lova, Sasha, and Evelina. 
Voronezh

I am in love with Voronezh! I had the choice of going to St. Petersburg instead, but I'm so glad that I am here. It has a lot of character and I feel like it is much more Russian than Moscow and St. Petersburg in some ways. Voronezh was closed to all foreigners until 1990, and I think that is part of why that is the case. The only Americans we see are involved with ILP or are missionaries from my church. Well, besides the one weirdo who was here to find a Russian bride... :)

There are lots of beautiful building everywhere. I love Russian architecture! This church is probably my favorite.

So beautiful!!! It is much better in person though....
All the women wear scarves over their hair inside churches. 
All the girlies! Kelsee, Tessa, Alix, Jane (our guide, Jallyn's host sis), Jallyn, and me. Sami was with her host family. 
The lovely green-tinted river. :) 
Yay for the super crowded buses! :)
BARak O'Mama's! Yes, this actually exists in Voronezh, Russia :)

The beautiful ballet! We have already been to 3 since it is so gorgeous, not to mention really cheap! The most we have paid is 300 rubles, or like $10. 


I loved this beautiful monastery! 






My beautiful walk to the school!


Pianos and the color red are two of my favorite things... I was very happy right here :)
It is a tradition for Russian couples to lock away their love on a bridge and then throw the key into the water. Isn't that cool?
Beautiful fall! Reminds me of home. :)


I love how random Russia is. You never know when you will look down an alley and see something incredibly gorgeous. 
I loved the colors of the rotting remnants of this old house. Makes me wonder what it looked like when it was built.
Another old house... there are lots!




Home :)

I live with a host family, which consists of my host mom, Natalia, and my 6-year-old host brother Vanya. They are really nice, and I am glad that my house is comfortable... even if it is much different than my home in America! We live in a small flat in a big building, just like most Russians. There is a kitchen, a bathroom, a toilet room, two bedrooms, an entry, and that's it. :) I have my own room, which is so nice. After a long day sometimes it feels nice to just sit in my bed and read, watch a movie, write in my journal, and relax by myself.

My room! Excuse the mess... this was taken not long after I got there. :)
Me with Natalia, Vanya, and my real live Russian babushka! She makes delicious blini. :)
Church

I am so grateful to be able to attend church here. The branch here is so strong, and I love all of the people we have been able to meet! It feels so good to walk in the doors, see the picture of Christ, and just enjoy how peaceful, happy, and at home I feel there. The church is true and being in Russia makes me even more thankful that I have that knowledge. I wish I could share it with everyone since I know how much happiness it brings me, and what it could do for them and their lives, but I'm here on a humanitarian visa so that means that if I am doing anything that could be seen as proselyting I could be deported because I don't have a religious visa. I knew that would be the case, but I had no idea how hard that could be! Oh well... I guess I will live. :)

We get to attend church in this sweet building that used to be a movie theater. Isn't it beautiful???




Moscow

We took a quick trip to Moscow the week after we got here, right before we started school. It is an overnight bus ride away from Voronezh. We had a really good time, but Moscow isn't my favorite place in the world... haha. :)





The Cathedral of Christ the Savior

On Red Square





One of the amazing metros! 

There is so much more I could write, and about a million pictures I could post, but this will have to do for now. I really will try to be better though!

Also, I just have to say how much I love Russia. Ever since I came here 5 years ago I have wanted to come back, and I feel like the luckiest person to get to be here for four whole months and to have the opportunity to (hopefully) do some good as well. This is an experience I will never forget, that is for sure! It may be a challenge sometimes, but it is so worth it and I am beyond happy to be here! :)

I love and miss you all!

2 comments:

Jenka said...

I think you may have some serious competition for the title of worst blogger!

I'm so glad you've kept up on your journal writing. It's fun to read about all of your adventures!

I love you,

Mom

Kristen K said...

Mikaela! I just realized I haven't looked at your blogs in forever. I love the pictures. Looks like you had an awesome time in Russia! :)