Friday, July 29, 2011

Laundry baskets and pre-Russia jitters

I leave for Russia in 25 short days. In the middle of the floor in my room I've got a big laundry basket that is slowly getting filled with things I need to bring with me, just so I can start getting things together and figure out what I'm going to take.

When I was hiking up a mountain a couple months ago with some people from my church, someone mentioned how we always pack our insecurities and you can tell how confident a hiker is by the size of their pack. I'm starting to see how that is true in this case as well. As I have started to pack, and as this whole Russia thing becomes more and more real to me, I'm beginning to realize how nervous I am. One of the ways I can tell is by how quickly that laundry basket has filled up with things that will remind me of home. If I could fit my family and everyone else I love in there too, I probably would.

I've never done anything like this before. Although I have been to Russia, I had my family with me to help me along and keep me safe. I was just along for the ride, and I always felt comfortable and secure. I'm essentially on my own this time. I have the lovely Alix and the other ILP teachers with me, but this time I am the one responsible for myself and that is kind of nerve-racking.

The Kazan cathedral in St. Petersburg
At the "dyetsky dom" (children's home/orphanage) with my three new siblings
St. Basil's cathedral on Red Square in Moscow
It's good for me though, and I know I will learn a lot by stepping out my comfort zone and doing something as crazy as living in Russia for 4 months. :) Even though I am nervous, I know I am going to have the time of my life and I am still SO excited for August 23 to get here so I actually have something interesting to post on this blog besides every picture or article I can find about Voronezh! :)

25 days!!!

No comments: